Saturday, May 29, 2010

Reader's Choice - If I Stay




Title: If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Publisher: Penguin Group, 2009
Awards: Best Books for Young Adults, 2010
Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Readers, 2010

This story is told in first person by Mia. She is a 17 year old girl who has been accepted into Julliard for playing the cello. The story starts out with school being canceled because of snow. This is a rare event in their Oregon city. Her Mom, Dad, little brother, and herself are enjoying the morning off and eventually decide to go on a drive to visit some friends. But the carefree morning quickly ends when a four-ton pickup truck going over sixty miles an hour plows into the side of their car. When Mia "wakes up" she thinks everything is fine. The radio is still playing Beethoven and she is standing in a ditch on the side of the road. She looks around and finds her Mom & Dad. Mia the panics and goes to look for her brother. She sees someone lying in the ditch were she was standing moments before. When Mia gets closer she realizes it is not Teddy but it is herself. "My eyes are closed, and my dark brown hair is wet and rusty with blood." Mia thinks this can't be happening, she must be dreaming. "Am I dead" she asks herself. Then the paramedics come.
The story continues with Mia using flashbacks, flash-forwards, and out-of-body reports on her immediate surroundings. This style of writing makes the story very interesting and real. It allows us to hear Mia's story and the struggle she is facing. The story then follows the medical efforts to save her life, extended family and friends’ efforts to provide emotional care, and Mia’s coming to terms with what has happened and what might still await her. The flash-backs explain her life at home, school, and friendships. Her boyfriend is also a musician in a rock band. He is very supportive of Mia's choices and he has to break the rules to she Mia in the hospital. She has out of body experiences which allows her to see how others are reacting to this tragedy.
It is a very good book and a very emotional one. I like how it makes you think and I'm sure young adults would also be moved by the book. What choices do we really have? How would you choose?
The book would be good for both boys and girls but I imagine girls would be more likely to read it. Adam, Mia's boyfriend, is a positive role model in this book.

I would show the book trailer for If I Stay.



I would become Mia and say:
"I wonder if every dying person gets to decide whether they stay or go. It seems unlikely. After all, this hospital is full of people having poisonous chemicals pumped into their veins or
submitting to horrible operations all so they can stay, but some of them will die anyway." "Why can't someone else decide for me? Why can't I get a death proxy? Can't I have a pinch hitter to take me home?"
"What would you do?"

8 comments:

  1. When this was reviewed at SOYAMRG, the review was very positive. I think it will appeal to teen readers. Teens are fascinated by questions of death and near death experiences. The video is a wonderful way to introduce the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fan of the book trailer. It allows students to have the visual hook they have become accustom to and it also appeals to those who may be reluctant to pick up a book vesus "watching the story unfold" on a screen. I do like the story line of this title and agree that it would appeal to a wide variety of readers. I have read the online reviews and they are very good and are posted from a wide age range of readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of using the trailer as part of your book hook. It sounds like a very interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your summary and book hook. Who isn't fascinated with near death experiences and stories about after life. I imagine it's very emotional. Sounds like a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read but agree that this sounds like it has huge teen appeal. Book trailers are great tools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this book sounds so interesting! This might just be what I take with me on my family vacation to Kitty Hawk next week (well, at least one of them : ) I like the trailer too.. I am actually using one for class tomorrow - it just says it all better than I ever could!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the idea of book trailers. I think this would be a great activity to do with students...or even in Multimedia Productions?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a great book! The decision to stay or go is a great hook to keep reading to the end and the book trailer was very well done.

    ReplyDelete