Sunday, May 30, 2010

Edgy - Wintergirls

Title: Wintergirls
Author: Laurie Halse Anderson
Genre: Realistic Fiction
Publisher: Viking, 2009

Wintergirls is about two former bestfriends Lia and Cassie. But Lia just hears that Cassie is found dead in a motel room. Lia received over 32 phone messages from Cassie but did not listen to those messages until it was too late. The story is told by Lia in which she uses flashbacks to tell their story of friendship and struggles. We learn that Cassie and Lia became friends in third grade. Cassie became bulimic when she was 11 and by the time she was in eight grade she was a pro. When puberty hit Lia at age 12 she became self-conscious of her body and started cutting to "let the pain out." Christmas of their 8th grade year the girls made a resolution. Lia takes out a knife and cuts her palm saying"I swear to be the skinniest girl in school, skinnier than you." Cassie graped the knife and slashed her palm saying, "I bet I'll be skinnier than you." "No, don't make it a bet. Let's be skinniest together." "Okay, but I'll be skinnier," said Cassie.
Their high school days are filled with this destructive behavior. Cassie's bulimia and Lia's cutting and anorexia.
Lia is left struggling for her life with her own eating disorder and having to deal with the "ghost" of Cassie for not trying to help her friend.
It is very hard to hear the struggles of these girls, and especially Lia's since she is left. The book seems like it gives a very real and graphic look at the horrors of these disorders.Lia counts calories, skips meals and exercises religiously. She texts other anorexics. "I try to keep calorie intake under 500. anything more is unacceptable." "I am so disgustingly, horribly fat. Today I went on a 2 hour run and starved myself till dinner where I ate like a pig. Sometimes I feel so fucking helpless."
I think this book could be read by most high school girls. It is hard to hear the struggles but I believe this topic needs to be examined. Girls need to understand the dangers of eating disorders.
Although graphic, I would not put this in the same category of edgy books that others have read.
The book is very well written and I would recommend reading it.
For a hook I think I would read the description of how Cassie died.(Pretty graphic)
"She was at a motel. She drank, binged,and purged for two days. Cassie's esophagus ruptured. Vomiting forcefully enough can tear the esophagus. She was purging into the motel toilet when the ruptured occurred. She was very, very drunk. She went into shock and died in the bathroom."

5 comments:

  1. It is a tough read but I agree it is on a topic that needs to be better understood. Edwards winner Laurie Halse Anderson wrote a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While it may be shocking to some, parts of this book are all too real. Having taught at an all-girls high school, I've see eating disorders too many times to count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a sad story, but I think so many girls need to read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These seems like a pretty intense story. Many teenagers are obsessed with their images so I think it would definitely appeal to female teens. I liked your book talk hook. It made me want to read the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very powerful book. The girls who have read it say that it is very realistic. I can't say that I "enjoyed" the story, but I was certainly drawn into Lia's life.

    ReplyDelete