Title: Ask Me No Questions
Author: Marina Budhos
Genre: Multicultural and International
Publisher: Atheneum Books for Young Readers, 2006
A Junior Library Guild Selection
This story is about fourteen-year-old Nadira and her family, who arrived from Bangladesh eight years ago and have lived productively but illegally in New York ever since. They came to the U. S. on a tourist visa, and stayed long after the visa expired ("Everyone does it. You buy a fake social security number for a few hundred dollars and then you can work."). However things change after the terrorist attack of Sept.11, 2001.
The story opens with Nadira's family driving to Canada in hopes of getting asylum, but they are turned back, and Nadira's father, Abba, is detained because his passport is no longer valid. Nadira's mom decides to stay with her husband and the girls were sent back to New York to live with their Aunt & Uncle. Their father tells the girls to "Go to school. Never let anyone know. Never."). Nadira struggles with her own self image and her envy of her gifted older sister. The girls struggle to keep up appearances and worry about being deported back to Bangladesh. Nadira's sister falls apart under the pressure and Nadira steps up to help the family.
This was a nice story but nothing great. It gives a glimpse of what it must be like for many illegal people in our country. I find it hard to believe that many people still stereotype; being Muslim means you are dangerous, a suspected terrorist. The book does a good job describing the fear of Muslims living in the US post 9-11.
I would recommend this book to girls in sixth to 9th grade primarily because the story involves two sisters. Boys might be intrigued by the immigration and possible deportation aspect of the book. I think this book could be used for a debate regarding the rights of illegal aliens.
For a hook I think I would start with:
You are on the road driving from Canada to New York. Your father is in a detention center, your mother is sleeping on a cot in a shelter, and you have been instructed to "Go to school. Never let anyone know. Never.").
What would you do? Could you be the people we don't always see?

The title and cover are intriguing and I think it would be interesting to read a point of view from illegal immigrants. How difficult it would be for those girls to find their identity, while hiding it at the same time.
ReplyDeleteThis book is used in a seventh grade multicultural unit at our school. Each student must select a book whose main character is a different gender and ethnic background from the reader's. The boys who have chosen to read this book really like it.
ReplyDeleteGreat hook idea! This book sounds like it really makes you think. All too often we are quick to judge people who are illegal aliens, how often do we stop to see their side of the story?
ReplyDeleteYour summary had me hooked. I'm disappointed that you didn't find the book to be as outstanding as it might have been. It is a very interesting premise, though, and I think as Caucasians and American citizens, we can often forget what people go through in order to live in this wonderful nation of ours.
ReplyDeleteI agree that your summary was amazing, and I had the same sad thought that Lori did. How hard it would be to keep a secret that could separate you from your family while you are trying to figure out your place in the world. What a fantastic way to share the experiences of illegal immigrants.
ReplyDeleteSounds like another good book to teach us what it is like to be from a different culture. It is so good to broaden our minds to others struggles. We could always use the reminder to not judge so quickly.
ReplyDeleteThe cover of the book is appealing and so is the subject matter. I just booktalked two titles this week about the Muslim culture. At a much younger age level, but the premise still being the same - judging others based on cultural differences.
ReplyDeleteIt's a little disappointing that this book wasn't awesome. The cover makes it look like it would be full of mystery and drama. Still, I think it would be interesting and valuable to see the changes in America after 9/11 through the eyes of an illegal immigrant. Students can always use a little perspective.
ReplyDeleteI too am disappointed to hear this wasn't a very good book. I had selected this book to place on the WIKI for class as I was responsible for the Arab-American Experience. I thought it sounded like it would be an interesting read after looking at the summary and some of the reviews.
ReplyDeleteAs a Junior Library Guild subscriber, I am suprised that so many of us were disappointed in this book. Usually, their selections are top-notch and of high quality. However, as the illegal immigration debate continues to heighten in our country, the relevance of this book may become greater. Hopefully our students will enjoy and find something to learn from such a story.
ReplyDeleteI seem to have mislead a lot of people. The book was good and well written. It's a good book to discuss cultural differences. However, having read so many great books these past few books I just couldn't rate it as high as the others.
ReplyDeleteI do recommend reading it.
Sorry for any confusion
I agree that the cover looks very intriguing. What an interesting plot! I'm glad to hear that you did enjoy it. I guess we have raised our expectations in this class!
ReplyDeleteThis book won the James Cook award, given every other year by the Ohio Library Council to a book celebrating diversity for teens. James was a WSU student (I had him in class when I taught as an adjunct back in the early 80s) who was the YA specialist for Dayton Metro. He was a wonderful advocate for teens and a great guy. He died several years ago and this award was set up in his memory. I am on the committee for next year.
ReplyDeleteI liked the book. Without getting into politics, some folks have very firm ideas about immigration. I think books like this can help build compassion for people who were not as lucky as we are to have been born in a free country.