



Candace Fleming is the author of many different genres. She writes picture books, early chapter books and non fiction for middle and high school. her most recent book is The Great and Only Barnum: the Tremendous, Stupendous, Life of Showman P.T. Barnum (2009) Ages 9+. Awards include YALSA award for excellence in nonfiction for young adults (2010), ALA best books for YA 2010, ALSC Notable book 2010. This book "captures the spirit of an era, the spirit of the circus, and the spirit of P.T. Barnum himself. This book includes old circus posters, photographs, etchings, ticket
stubs."
Candace is also the author of the award winning book The Lincoln's (2008) Ages 9+. Boston Globe Horn Book award for nonfiction 2009, NCTE Orbis Picture Honor Book, School Library Journal Best Book. this book tells the lives of Abraham & Mary from their childhoods to hteir own tragic deaths. The scrapbook style lends itself to both reluctant readers as well as history lovers. Readers can find Mary's recipe for Abraham's favorite cake; see a photo of the Lincoln's dog; see a photo of the Emancipation Proclamation written in Lincoln's own hand.
Ben Franklin's Almanac: Being a True Account of the Good Gentleman's Life (2003) Ages 9-12. Parents choice Gold Award Winner, ALA Best Book for YA, Publisher's Weekly Best Book of 2003.
"What good shall I do today?" Franklin lived his life answering that question through his work as a writer, printer, statesman, & inventor. This scrapbook captures Franklin's countless accomplishments.
Candace says she has always been a storyteller. "I told my neighbors all about my three-legged cat named Spot. I told my classmates about the ghost that lived in my attic. I told such a good story that people always thought I was telling the truth. But I wasn't." Her parents encouraged her to put her stories down on paper.
"After graduation, I got married and had children. I read to them a lot, and that's when I discovered the joy and music of children's books. I simply couldn't get enough of them. With my two sons in tow, I made endless trips to the library. I read stacks of books. I found myself begging, "Just one more, pleeeeease!" while my boys begged for lights-out and sleep. Then it struck me. Why not write children's books? It seemed the perfect way to combine all the things I loved: stories, musical language, history, and reading. I couldn't wait to get started."
I love that story!
Candace is also interested in how teachers 7 librarians make use of her books in the classroom, during story hour, for curriculum units and with literature circles. Many of her books have classroom guides including The Lincoln's and Ben Franklin's Almanac.
These are wonderful books that would engage children in their learning of historical people.
I highly recommend Candace Fleming's books.
Interview with Candace Fleming
Sources:
Candice Fleming's Homepage
Reading Rockets: A video interview with Candace Fleming

Fleming sounds like a great YA author who really knows how to write to her audience. I can definitely see how students would be much more inclined to enjoy "The Lincoln's" as opposed to an encyclopedia reference or something other mundane type of research.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to discover that neither the YS high school/ middle school nor the elementary school library have any of Fleming's books. She sounds like a wonderful author. I'm going to look at her books and see if any would make good additions.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your link to Fleming's interview on Reading Rockets. She speaks to her early beginnings as a writer - in kindergarten. It gives a great perspective on her writing and how she began as an oral storyteller and moved into writing these stories down on paper. Students will find this quite humorous and perhaps inspirational.
ReplyDeleteThe scrapbook format has been a hit for Fleming. Who could resist photo of Lincoln's dog? It humanizes historical figures - reminds students that the people who they read about are real people.
ReplyDelete