
Title: The Mysterious Benedict Society
Author: Trenton Lee Stewart
Genre: Realistic Fiction - Adventure
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company, 2007
The book has not won any awards but is an ALA notable/best book, and has starred reviews from Booklist, Horn Book, and Booklinks.
"Are you a gifted child looking for special opportunities?" This curious newspaper ad catches the eye of orphan Reynie Muldoon. After taking exams that test both mind and spirit, Reynie is selected along with three other contestants--Sticky Washington, a nervous child with a photographic memory; irrepressible Kate Weatherhill; and a tiny child who lives up to her name, Constance Contraire. The children soon learn they've been chosen by mysterious Mr. Benedict for an important mission: they are to infiltrate the isolated Learning Institute for the Very Enlightened, from which messages of distrust and compliance are being broadcast into the minds of the world's citizens.
Once inside the repressive Institute, the four children face danger and discovery, puzzles and plots, and their own mortal weaknesses as they confront Mr. Curtain and his plan to take over the world.
This was a great and exciting story. I was hooked from the beginning. I was curious to find out what the secret mission was and why those 4 specific children were chosen. Although almost 500 pages, the story moves quickly. It is a story of friendship and learning to work together. The story is low in violence but high in morals. It's nice to read such a positive book about friendships.
The story would able to both boys and girls. My son really enjoyed it. As we all know, it can be hard to find books that appeal to boys. It is suitable and probably more appropriate for the younger age range of young adults but I believe even older students would enjoy it. I think it would especially appeal to students who are identified as gifted since that is how the characters are identified as.
As a hook I would become Kate Weatherhill, one of the characters. Kate always carried a bucket full of things.I would have a metal pail with me with many of the items Kate carried; Swiss Army knife, a flashlight, extra-strength glue, marbles, slingshot, a kaleidoscope, magnet, and many other items.
"That's a lot of stuff to carry," Sticky remarked. "It's all useful," Kate said, putting her things away again. "Take this morning, for example. Some crazy-looking girl dropped her pencil down the storm drain out on the plaza and if I didn't have my bucket with me, she'd have been up a creek without a paddle. Hmm, a paddle would be great to have. But no, I suppose it would be too big to haul around. Kate finished her story. She pried up the edge of the metal grate with a screwdriver on her Swiss Army knife. She then tied her rope to a nearby bench and lowered herself into the drain, using the flashlight to find the pencil in the dark. It had rolled down into a crack, so I put a drop of glue on the end of some fishing twine. Then poked the twine down into the crack until it reached the pencil. I gave the glue a few seconds to dry, then pulled it right out. I couldn't have done any of that without my bucket, now could I?"
There are 2 sequels to this book.

This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis title is not in our collection, but within the past month, I have had two students (gifted) request that I put it on the wish list and a parent (of a gifted student) who says she is just going to buy me a copy. I like your hook to the book - the pail. A couple of items might have to be left out, but I can just picture the students and their focus on the talk as you pull out the props. It sounds very interesting and it looks as though I will have to just go out and "purchase a copy from the bookstore instead of waiting to place an order" - I think that was on a Praxis review. :)
ReplyDelete(I deleted my first comment - I wish this had spell check.)
This sounds like a good upper elementary title. The character's ages could make it hard to move up. It may make a good read aloud.
ReplyDeleteI've been seeing this one quite a bit in the hands of students at school (4th - 6th graders) so I'd agree on the upper elementary range. The kids reading it have all given it a thumbs up.
ReplyDeleteI also must confess I always like books that put smart kids in adventurous situations. It shows kids that you can be smart and good in school and still have exciting things happen.
I like Erin's comment about smart kids having exciting lives also. I have not seen or heard of this book. With Jan's recommendation I will have to put it on our wish list.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great book with characters being gifted. This would be a great title to suggest to a student who is struggling with their giftedness.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like a fun book. I, like Denette, have never heard of this book. I have to admit I'm intrigued by Mr. Benedict, the mysterious mister behind the newspaper ad. I wonder what his story is. Thanks for the great post!
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to read this book! I actually had pulled it this week, but decided I might not have time to finish it. I think its size might deter some students from checking it out, but the story sounds like it would be worth it. It's on my summer reading list.
ReplyDeleteThis book sounds like it would make quite an enjoyable movie! I can see Johnny Depp as Mr. Benedict himself : ) Very creative idea for your hook as well, you have no choice but to be intrigued!
ReplyDeleteSeries of Unfortunate Events for kids who like older books?
ReplyDeleteI haven't heard of this book either. The book cover seems interesting to me as well. I think this would definitely appeal to upper elementary student.
ReplyDeleteI really like your approach of taking on the role of the character in your booktalk hook. I am not at all familiar with this book yet you have made it sound very intriguing. I agree that books that exemplify morals and positive friendships are sometimes hard to find. It is important for kids to know that these characteristics are valued in today's society.
ReplyDeleteChristie,
ReplyDeleteYes Johnny Depp would be a great actor for mr. Benedict.
Why don't you give Johnny a call.