Monday, April 5, 2010

Realistic Fiction - Criss Cross




Title: Criss Cross
Author: Lynn Rae Perkins
Genre: Realistic Fiction - PeersAdd Image
Awards:
Newberry Medal 2006
ALA Best Book for Young Adults 2006
ALA Notable Children's Book 2006
A Horn Book Fanfare Best Book 2006
School Library Journal Best Book of the Year 2006

Criss Cross is a story about a fourteen year old girl and a group of friends. At the beginning of the story, Debbie wishes for something to happen, something good to her. The story follows a group of friends growing up in a small town in the 1960's whose paths cross and new friendships and experiences develop. The author expresses an universal and timeless emotions of adolescence.

I enjoyed the book Criss Cross. I think young teens can relate to the characters even though the book is set in the 1960's: In the story two girls would change their clothes after leaving their home because their mom's did not approve of the clothes they wanted to wear; thinking that the grass is always greener on the other side; and handling the struggles and feeling of growing up.
I enjoyed the author's literary style in which she included shifting points of views, illustrations, and poetry. Perkin's use of imagery is beautiful. "Her smile was like a warm summer day. Her eyes were like dancing stars." " The flower plums outside were covered with blossoms as if a giant bowl of popcorn had spilled from the sky which was blue and landed in the branches."

I would recommend this book for students in grades five to nine who love to read. I would tend to think girls would enjoy the book more although the book includes male protagonists. The book may be a little too slow moving for those who don't enjoy reading.

To hook a reader I would use the opening line and hold a necklace, "She wished something would happen. Something good to her. Looking at the bright fuzzy picture in the magazine, she thought, something like that. Checking her wish for loopholes, she found one. Hoping it wasn't too late, she thought the word Soon." I think all teenagers wish for something different in their lives.

For more information visit Lynn Rae Perkins website.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I would have liked to read in middle school. Everyone wishes that something good would happen to them. I think middle school girls would identify with the characters in the book, despite it taking place 50 years ago. I know when I was that age I found it interesting to read about girls my age that lived in a different time. It was fun to compare how our lives were similar/different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like the young ladies in the story aren't all that different from the ones today. I have girls in my class who change their outfits or take off their outer layer when they get to school because they didn't want mom to see what they were wearing. That's universal. And a well-written book with well-developed characters can serve to demonstrate how teen angst crosses the decades and even the centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not read Criss Cross. I'm glad someone in class did. It does sound like a girl's type of read. It think it's funny that at school today several teachers and I were discussing the "custom of girls changing their clothes bewteen when they leave home and arrive at school". With spring weather comes some pretty skimpy outifts. Our elementary school (k-6) has the book in their collection. I'm not sure I will add it to my collection; it sounds a bit young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Caryn that I would have loved a book like this in middle school. My best friend would take her "real" school clothes in her backpack and change in the restroom before first period...and she thought she was doing something new! Don't all tweens?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a book I would have loved to read in middle school as well. Sometimes I changed my clothes after leaving the house. I got home from school before my parents did so I didn't have to worry about changing back into my other clothes until I got home! I was always a dreamer and I still am so this book definitely seems interesting to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember my mom talking about changing her outfit and the book setting would have matched her time period. During my days, flannel shirts and baggy sweatshirts were "in" but I see that these days, clothes are getting low cut and midrifs showing. A good book for this time period.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book would have definite appeal to 5th and 6th grade girls. As Erin pointed out, the goal to fit in based on what one is wearing has not changed. The unlayering that occurs on the bus must be a sight to behold. We do not have this title in our collection, but it sounds like a book that I will want to add.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gentle book. It is told in an episodic way creatively using poetry and prose. Missed connections.
    Having said that, I know I read it but don't remember much except a general impression of tone. The clothing thing is a good hook - look how EDt763 students have responded to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems to me like this book would be ideal for students who seem to have a strong connection to Literature and English that not all children posses. It's easy to tell who these students are, and they are the ones who would rather write books of poetry and long essays than waste class time on tests or quizzes. I myself was one of these kids and while it is easy for me to see where the attraction would be in this book, I can also understand how some reluctant readers might struggle with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This seems like such a sweet, tame book in comparison to the other titles read this week! Still, sometimes it is nice to read a quiet, beautifully written book without all the tumultuous emotion. However, based on Dr. Berg's comments, it may be that such books are fun to read, but aren't the ones our students will remember 10 years from now as a book that changed them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did that when I was growing up. My mom left for work before I left for school and I got home from school before she got home from work. I wouldn't have considered the outfits I wore risky but they were clothes she didnt want me to wear to school. I love the book hook you used. It will definitly get those visual and tactile learners interested.

    ReplyDelete